Winter Film Awards challenges you to create a short film from start to finish in just a single weekend!
Over $14k in prizes, including a Filmmakers Prize Package from B&H Photo and Canon. Other great prizes provided by Ride of Fame, Lime Rock Park, Mission Escape Games, Jungle Software, The Paint Place, Chelsea Piers, Sleep No More / The McKittrick Hotel, Pole Position Raceway, NY SKYRIDE , Watson Adventures and City Wine Tours ! Winning films to be screened at the 2015 Winter Film Awards Independent Film Festival!
What is a 48-Hour Film Challenge?
WINTER FILM AWARDS challenges the local community to create a 4-7 minute short film in a specified genre, tagline and prop in just a single gonzo weekend! Thirty teams of the most creative people in the tri-state area have just 48 sleepless hours to decide what they are going to do, write a screenplay, assemble props, costumes and actors, rehearse, shoot, score and edit their film. Students, amateurs, and seasoned industry veterans alike learn the importance of caffeine, team work and time management in successful filmmaking.
Completed films are uploaded to YouTube to garner the coveted “Fan Favorite” vote – for the 2013 Challenge, films received 65k views! All films are then screened at a local venue the following weekend and prizes are awarded for Best Picture and Fan Favorite.
For the 2012 Challenge, teams had to contend with a large brightly-colored snowflake sugar cookie and a tagline from Fight Club. For the 2013 Challenge, we made it even more difficult — Teams had a tagline from Ghostbusters and Gray Line New York provided each team with one-hour private shooting time on a double-decker sightseeing tour bus, complete with Tour Guide and Driver. Visit the WFA YouTube playlist to view all of the amazing films.
The 2014 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge gets under way on Friday November 7 at 8pm. A representative each team must come to our offices at 419 Lafayette Street, New York NY 10003 at 8pm to sign in to the Challenge. Entries may be shot either via traditional filmmaking equipment or teams can do the whole thing on smartphones.
|About the Challenge||See the films!||And the Winners are …|
|Photos!||2013 Challenge||2012 Challenge|
Ready to accept the challenge?
It is FREE to take part in the Challenge, but you must register in advance!
First, please read the OFFICIAL RULES of the Challenge and review the “How It Works” below to make sure you understand and agree to everything. When you’re done, register your team via Eventbrite. Lastly, print and sign the official rules and bring it with you when you come to our offices to receive your genre, prop and tagline.
On Friday, November 21 from 8-11pm, the best entries as judged by the WFA Jury will be screened at BLONDIES in NYC, followed by an Award Ceremony, prizes and networking party.
Prizes will be awarded for BEST PICTURE and FAN FAVORITE
How it Works
Click here to read the OFFICIAL RULES of the Challenge. By registering for the Challenge, you are confirming that you agree to all Rules listed.
CHALLENGE BEGINS: A representative of your team must come to our offices between 8-10pm on Friday, November 7, at which time you will be provided with your Prop, Tagline and Film Genre. At 10pm, we open any open slots to our waitlist, so if you have not checked in by 10pm, you may lose your slot.
CHALLENGE ENDS: You must deliver your completed film to our offices at 419 Lafayette Street within exactly 48 hours of your sign in time.
Completed films will be uploaded to YouTube by the WFA Team. Winter Film Awards will open voting via YouTube on Tuesday November 11 by 9am. Voting for FAN FAVORITE will be open until Friday November 21 at 12pm. Be sure to notify your friends!
JUDGING: Completed films will be judged by the WFA Jury. WFA will award the BEST PICTURE award to the film we think best. WFA Jury will also award two other prizes to films we think deserve it (criteria to be determined solely by Winter Film Awards). FAN FAVORITE prize will be awarded to the film that earns the most votes, which will be a combination of LIKES on YouTube and in-person votes at the Screening.
SCREENING & AWARDS: Finally, if your film is selected for screening, a representative of your team should attend the screening in person in order to accept awards.
Completed films that meet minimum criteria for eligibility will be screened on Friday, November 21. WFA Jury may choose to exclude films for screening if we feel that the content is inappropriate or offensive. In addition, in some cases, WFA may choose to screen films that did not complete by deadline but we find awesome none-the-less. However, films that miss deadline are not eligible for awards.
Check out last year’s Challenge Winners!
About Our Sponsors
- Congratulations to our 2014 48-Hour Film Challenge Winners! #WFA48
- Winter Film Awards proudly continues our partnership with B&H Photo / Canon #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge
- What can YOU do in 48 hours? See the films and VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITES! #WFA48
- 48-Hour Challenge is on! #WFA48
- See the Sights with Winter Film Awards and Ride of Fame! #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Go on the hunt with Winter Film Awards and Watson Adventures! #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Make your escape with Winter Film Awards and Mission Escape Games! #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Win a day at the races with Winter Film Awards and Pole Position Raceway! #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Winter Film Awards proudly continues our partnership with Jungle Software #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Unleash your need for SPEED with Winter Film Awards and Lime Rock Park! #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Sleep No More with Winter Film Awards and the McKittrick Hotel! #WFA48 WFA 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Win classes from Brooklyn Boulders! #WFA48 48-Hour Film Challenge, Nov 7-9 2014
- Win an awesome painting class for 4 from The Paint Place NY! #WFA48
- What can YOU do in 48 Hours?
- Win a tour of NYC’s awesome wine culture with City Wine Tours! #WFA48
- 3rd Annual Winter Film Awards 48-Hour Film Challenge #WFA48
- John’s Creek GA Middle Schooler Awarded Scholarship to NYC Film Program
- Winter Film Awards is proud to partner with the New York Film Academy!